PILOT OPEN TO MORPHO ALUMNI ONLY
July 11-21, 2023
Amazon Research Initiative Fees
- $625 Morpho Institute Program Fee
- $2370 land costs payable to our travel partner, EcoTeach
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 10 PARTICIPANTS
You will arrange your own flight. Estimated cost: $900-1500 roundtrip USA to Iquitos Peru
Program Theme: Biodiversity in a changing world - An investigation through time and space
Program Syllabus: Download PDF
The Amazon Research Initiative for Educators (ARIE) is a 10-day professional development research experience for K12 teachers based in the Amazon rainforest of Peru. During this research experience, teachers will examine the broad theme of “Biodiversity in the Changing World through Time and Space” by participating in Morpho Institute’s ongoing research projects. Teachers will learn key scientific methodologies, such as plant phenology monitoring, animal behavior observations, citizen science protocols, basic statistical analysis, and science communication. Teachers will contribute to the long-term data sets of the Morpho Institute, which will be used to monitor the changes to biodiversity and be available to teachers to use in their classrooms. Teachers will work closely with Morpho Institute faculty to investigate research questions in the amazon. Additionally, teachers will have the opportunity to connect inquiry, Morpho’s research projects, and their research interests to their classrooms in curriculum connection brainstorming sessions.
Program goals include:
- Engage teachers in active research projects to increase understanding of science as a process and inspire the use of inquiry-based lessons in their classrooms.
- Enhance teachers’ science literacy through personal experience with scientific thinking, research design, and excitement of discovery.
- Introduce teachers to key research methodologies for monitoring ecological systems in a changing planet in the Amazon and ecological communities in the US.
- Develop ecological databases that can be used to monitor and protect the sustainable use of the Amazon, and connect K12 students in comparative research projects in their classes.
- Develop learning communities of teachers and researchers to provide inspiration, connection, and resources for inquiry-based learning in the K12 classroom.
- Examine ways of communicating science to students, teachers, researchers, and the general public.
- Develop inquiry-based curriculums that connect K12 US students with the scientific process and understanding of local and global environmental issues and inspire a broad diversity of students to consider higher education and careers in STEM.
NOTE: The 2023 pilot program is OPEN ONLY TO MORPHO ALUMNI.
The 2024 program will be open to everyone. Please SIGN UP HERE if you would like to be added to our update and registration info list.
STEP ONE: Enroll with the Morpho Institute
The ARIE program is coordinated by The Morpho Institute. The $625 Morpho Institute Program Fee includes program administration fees, field program facilitation, online pre-departure coursework, post-academy PD webinars, and access to a private online network for program participants.
To be accepted into the program and to confirm your spot on the 2023 roster, you must complete the ARIE Online Enrollment and Waiver Form and submit a $125 non-refundable deposit. The roster will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please use the button below to access the 2023 registration form. You will be notified within 24 hours of your acceptance and will receive a link for placing your deposit.
The remaining balance of the Morpho Institute Program Fee will be due no later than May 1, 2023, and will be subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the Morpho Institute Enrollment Form and Waiver. Please read this carefully!
STEP TWO: Make Your Travel Arrangments with EcoTeach
Once you have completed Step One, you will receive a confirmation email from Christa Dillabaugh, Director of the Morpho Institute with instructions for registering with EcoTeach and confirming your travel arrangements.
The $2370 EcoTeach travel fees cover in-country ground transportation, room, board, naturalist guides, and entrance or activity fees specifically outlined in the Educator Academy syllabus. Travel is coordinated by EcoTeach and all travel-related costs must be paid directly to EcoTeach after you have officially registered with The Morpho Institute and are subject to EcoTeach's cancellation policies.
If you have any questions regarding this two step process or the ARIE program in general, please email Christa at firstname.lastname@example.org. or (913) 214-6126 to speak with Christa directly. Please use 'ARIE Question' as your subject line.
Need More Information?
The Morpho Institute professional development field workshops are produced by a team of committed people who work together to make this a life experience for every traveler.
With questions about the educational program, syllabus, and experience in Peru contact:
Christa Dillabaugh, Director, The Morpho Institute
Email or Phone: (913) 214-6126